Bible Drill Hook:
One of the dangers of delivering lessons and scripture based on a specific topic, is that the topic tends to isolate discussion and pushes the believer into a limited, confusing, and often legalistic stance on a subject. The focus becomes the topic rather than the full meaning of the Word that God has for us regarding God’s Message. There are many topics that overlap one another. To gain the full intent of God’s message one must study all of His Word and not just pieces that “fit” the things that tickle the ear or support some cause. We must rightly divide the Word of Truth (2 Timothy 2:15).
One prime example of confusion based on topical study is in regard to judging. “Don’t judge me,” seems to be a modern day mantra for people who respond to the messages that sincere Christian people try to make in our society today. “You’re not supposed to judge,” is a phrase often used when one voices opposition to a plethora of sin that has become “legal” by the laws of modern government. Scripture does tell us not to judge. However, many are deceived by messages even presented by the church regarding sin. Christians are made fearful of “offending” someone because of their belief and behavior. The problem seems to be that our society and many churches tend to confuse “judging” with rebuke or statements regarding the identification of things that are truly sin. More often than not, this happens because we are not as familiar with God’s Word as we should be. Sometimes this even causes us to fail with allowing the Holy Spirit to guide our words so that conviction can do the work that brings a person to salvation. Should Christians rebuke sin? Consider these instructions to those that take on the task of spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
The remainder of this Bible Drill is available for Members. We apologize that New Member Sign Up is not currently available.
[s2If current_user_is(s2member_level4) OR current_user_is(administrator)]
Bible Drill Line:
1 Timothy 5:20
2 Timothy 4:2
2 Timothy 3:16-17
1 Thessalonians 5:14
1 Thessalonians 5:12
Bible Drill Sinker:
- Bible Huddle – A Small Group Bible Study Outline
You may wish to consider looking at a previous Bible Drill to help with this discussion:
#32: Discerning and Judging
1. What does judging and offending really mean in the scripture?
2. What do the words rebuke, admonish, and convict mean in the scripture?
3. How does the Christian reconcile the instructions we are given about judging and offending with the instructions about our instructions to rebuke, admonish, and convict sin?
4. When have you experienced instances of Christians diluting the real intention of scripture because they have not fully understood God’s Word?
5. When have you experienced instances of non-Christian people using scripture to make you feel guilty of judging when your full intent was pointing out sin as God’s Word directs us?
6. Brainstorm ideas on how you could respond to those who accuse you of judging when the real intention is to share the Gospel of Christ.
If you have questions or comments about this Bible Drill, please use the contact form.